Agenda, decisions and minutes

Keighley Area Committee - Thursday, 23rd December, 2021 6.00 pm, POSTPONED

Venue: Council Chamber, Keighley Town Hall, Keighley

Contact: Jane Lythgow 

Items
No. Item

16.

ALTERNATE MEMBERS (Standing Order 34)

The City Solicitor will report the names of alternate Members who are attending the meeting in place of appointed Members. 

 

Minutes:

Councillor Goodall for Councillor Clarke

17.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

(Members Code of Conduct - Part 4A of the Constitution)

 

To receive disclosures of interests from members and co-opted members on matters to be considered at the meeting. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.

 

An interest must also be disclosed in the meeting when it becomes apparent to the member during the meeting.

 

Notes:

 

(1)       Members may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an interest which the Member feels would call into question their compliance with the wider principles set out in the Code of Conduct.  Disclosable pecuniary interests relate to the Member concerned or their spouse/partner.

 

(2)       Members in arrears of Council Tax by more than two months must not vote in decisions on, or which might affect, budget calculations, and must disclose at the meeting that this restriction applies to them.  A failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence under section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. 

 

(3)       Members are also welcome to disclose interests which are not disclosable pecuniary interests but which they consider should be made in the interest of clarity.

 

(4)       Officers must disclose interests in accordance with Council Standing Order 44.

 

Minutes:

None received.

18.

MINUTES

Recommended –

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 14 October 2021 be signed as a correct record (previously circulated).

 

(Jane Lythgow – 01274 432270)

Minutes:

The minutes from the meeting of the Keighley Area Committee on 14 October 2021 were signed as a correct record.

19.

INSPECTION OF REPORTS AND BACKGROUND PAPERS

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

Reports and background papers for agenda items may be inspected by contacting the person shown after each agenda item.  Certain reports and background papers may be restricted. 

 

Any request to remove the restriction on a report or background paper should be made to the relevant Strategic Director or Assistant Director whose name is shown on the front page of the report. 

 

If that request is refused, there is a right of appeal to this meeting. 

 

Please contact the officer shown below in advance of the meeting if you wish to appeal. 

 

(Jane Lythgow - 01274 432270)

 

Minutes:

None received.

20.

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME

(Access to Information Procedure Rules – Part 3B of the Constitution)

 

To hear questions from electors within the District on any matter this is the responsibility of the Committee. 

 

Questions must be received in writing by the City Solicitor in Room 112, City Hall, Bradford, BD1 1HY, by mid-day on 21 December 2021.

 

(Jane Lythgow - 01274 432270)

 

Minutes:

No questions from the public were received.

21.

UPDATE ON ASSETS OF COMMUNITY VALUE pdf icon PDF 96 KB

The report of the Strategic Director, Corporate Resources, (Document “D”) provides an update on Assets of Community Value following the decision of the Executive on 8 September 2020 that Area Committees be provided with an annual update report.

 

Recommended –

 

That the update of listings of Assets of Community Value, reported in Document “D”, be noted.

 

(Simon Sharp – 07816 117754)

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved –

 

1.    That the update of listings of Assets of Community Value, reported in Document “D”, be noted.

2.    That future updates of listings of assets of community value, include details of those assets in private ownership.

 

ACTION: Strategic Director of Corporate Resources

Minutes:

Members learnt the Localism Act 2011 provides legislation for community value. This gives community groups an opportunity to submit for property land to better their social wellbeing or to better the community.

The Local Authority receives a nomination which it must accept if it is of community value.  Members learnt there are 21 people on the local electoral roll. Members were made aware that in order to satisfy listing criteria, the application would hate to further the social interest of the local community and continue to do so in the future.

 

Officers explained that from September 2021, changes to processes due to difficulties coinciding area committee meetings and statutory requirement to assess within 8 weeks, that it has been difficult to coordinate with area committee meetings. Furthermore, there is no longer a need for approval from area committees to portfolio holders.

 

Members explained the process now, which is to contact portfolio holders, request any comments and to add these to the report. This is then passed to strategic director who will make the decision to list property or building. The property is then listed for 5 years if successful. Members were made aware that there have been six new nominations since September 2021, all six were assessed and completed within statutory deadline, which improves on the previous 11-12-week turnaround period. The changes have improved things and the service is now working better. Only change in Keighley, is one new nomination that’s come in. This was deemed at the time acceptable, and was added to the list. The land owner didn’t object. Subsequently, it is now on the list for the next five years. Requests came in at the start of lockdown and were not dealt with at the time, came in before new decision. Nominations assessed, approved and added to the list. Added from the date, given an additional year. The decision made initially was wrong, both areas of council owned land. Since, this has been resolved.

 

 

Member sought to understand the situation when a property is council owned such as with the Menston Arms and whether the council is legally responsible for the property or it is the responsibility of the asset owner. Officers explained that assets of community can be privately owner and owners are restricted from going to open market until the moratorium period is complete.

 

 

 

Resolved –

 

1.    That the update of listings of Assets of Community Value, reported in Document “D”, be noted.

2.    That future updates of listings of assets of community value, include details of those assets in private ownership.

 

 

 

 

 

22.

STRENGTHENING LOCALITY WORKING pdf icon PDF 99 KB

The Council, working with partner agencies, is developing a new approach to Locality Working. The report of the Keighley Area Coordinator,

(Document “E”) outlines the District wide approach emerging from pilot work undertaken in the Keighley Area and gives an update on the progress being made towards the development of a Keighley Locality Plan and associated Ward Plans for 2022-25.

 

Recommended –

 

1.    That the Strengthening Locality Working approach and the implications of it for the Keighley Area, as detailed in Document “E”, be noted.

 

2.    That the Keighley Area Co-ordinator be requested to continue to lead on the Strengthening Locality Working approach and keep elected members updated on progress and involved in the Locality Planning process through two Briefing Sessions being held in January and February 2022.

 

(Jonathan Hayes – 01535 618008)

 

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved –

 

1.    That the Strengthening Locality Working approach and the implications of it for the Keighley Area, as detailed in Document “E”, be noted.

 

2.    That the Keighley Area Co-ordinator be requested to continue to lead on the Strengthening Locality Working approach and keep elected members updated on progress and involved in the Locality Planning process through two Briefing Sessions being held in January and February 2022.

 

 

ACTION: Keighley Area Coordinator

Minutes:

The Strategic Director, Place presented a report (Document “E”) which outlined the District wide approach emerging from pilot work undertaken in the Keighley Area and gave an update on the progress made towards the development of a Keighley Locality Plan and associated Ward Plans for 2022-25.

 

Officers explained that this report provides a Council wide approach for localities rather than service areas. This allows officers to think about how services are delivered in a locality (constituencies). The only department where this is not the case is Children’s Services. Keighley and Shipley are together as one locality. Partner areas on constituency. Officers outlined that this is a partnership program, where teams are working to similar boundaries.

 

Officers explained that with regards to prevention and early help, the priority isto support service users so that they don’t need statutory services that are higher and costly. Officers are asking how they can support people and develop communities. This provides an asset based approach, which is used a lot in public services. This allows officers to evaluate what’s working well in a community and building on what’s already there, which focusses on what’s strong rather than what’s wrong.

 

Officers outlined the development of a locality plan which replaces the old 6 ward plan. Going forward to having an area plan again called a locality plan. This will be based on the six themes in council plan, and the priorities under the themes that are specific to Keighley.

 

The Ward plans, priorities in locality plans, area wide issues key important things in the ward, and how officers develop actions to address this. Officers will present those at June area committee meeting.

 

Officers explained that with the multiagency all age panel. This is where agencies come together, bring cases of individual people or families that need early help and prevention. Officers need extra support, and ask how can that support be provided. The issues discussed in place meetings, mean Members may know of people who need this and can access this through ward officers.

 

Officers clarified that with GDPR can mention a family or individual but cannot discuss this from agencies without the consent of that person. Ward officer can refer to all age panel.

 

Members asked why there was no mention of Ilkley or Craven, in the locality plan as these are what came out of workshops in July. Officers want these to be area wide issues. Members reiterated that it needs to be a constituency wide plan.

 

Members sought clarification on “Multiagency” and what agencies are involved in the all age panel. Officers clarified Council Departments encompassing Children’s prevention and early help and adult’s assessment themes, as well as early help police officer, youth service and voluntary sector, the DWP, housing options, carers resource and, domestic violence team.

 

Officers also clarified they need to promote the team better, in order to have more involvement from different areas.

 

 

Resolved –

 

1.    That the Strengthening Locality Working approach and the implications of it for  ...  view the full minutes text for item 22.